Well, what a week it has been! After writing and posting my first weekly menu I later realized that a delivery from Plated.com was on its way. Grrrr, talk about a wrench in what I thought was a well thought out plan. Luckily, a few minor tweaks had my weekly menu back on track and ready for cookin’!
A good chunk of my blog will share the realities of busy mom life, busy family life and how to realistically juggle “it all”. I’m not perfect…not even close. Sharing my mistakes, mixups and mishaps are what I hope bring a little less stress to families feeling overwhelmed. Doing it all is NOT possible nor worth the gray hairs and wrinkles. 😉
Here is what really went down this week for dinner at our casa…
Monday – I mixed up the ingredients for Monday’s chicken verde and had to improvise. I went with baked BBQ chicken, rice and a salad. Nothing fancy, super easy and all of our bellies were happy.
Tuesday – Stuck with the portobello mushroom recipe, but forgot buns so we had them over romaine lettuce. The hubster actually really liked them. Yay! Point for the grain free crew!
Wednesday – Daddy and son stuck with hot dogs, chili and green beans while I enjoyed a night out with friends learning about how to make mozzarella and fresh pesto. It was fabulous! (I couldn’t find the brand of baked beans I like at the store so I improvised and went with chili)
Thursday – My Dad arrived in town and it was yet another boys night as I headed out the door for some outlet shopping with my friend and her daughter. Wowza, I had no idea how much I was going through shopping withdrawals. It’s been a loooooong time. 😉 Ok, ok, back to dinner. The boys enjoyed Plated’s Caribbean Banana Leaf-Steamed Fish with Pineapple Ginger Salsa that they raved about when I came home. Even little C devoured a whole tilapia filet!
Friday – Homemade pizza night was a success and becoming one of our favorite weekly things to do!
Saturday – Oh how we stuffed ourselves on Saturday! I bought tickets to the Newport Chowder Cook Off which left our bellies incredibly happy and oh so full. An afternoon in the sun plus a toddler that missed his nap left me with only enough energy to dial the phone for takeout. hehe I called in Thai takeout from Siam Square and we gorged ourselves again. It was a day full of flavors and we LOVED every bite of it!
Sunday – Considering Saturday’s dinner went out the window we decided to cook Saturday’s steak dinner tonight. We’ll be cooking up ribeyes and New York strip from Pat’s Pastured with our chimichurri sauce. No luck finding jicama so nixing that all together and doing a surf and turf with scallops that looked too yummy to pass up at the farmers market. Whipping up one of my kitchen sink salads and we’ll be good to go!
What’s on the menu at our casa this week?
Kate’s Weekly Menu for June 8, 2015
**NOTE** click hyperlinks (peach color text) to access online recipes and view the cookbooks I use. Bookmark or Pin my weekly menu post & reference when you’re cooking.
- Kate’s Menu: Sausage and Peppers Arrabbiata from Meals Made Simple (I have the ingredients for this leftover because of Saturday’s menu change up)
- Kitchen Sink Salad – That is exactly what it is…throw in whatever you have left in the fridge that looks good to you for a salad that compliments a spicy pasta dish. Don’t over think it and keep it simple!
- Another Option: Pasta Puttanesca (this dish is SUPER simple & so flavorful)
- Kitchen Sink Salad – same as above 🙂
- Kate’s Menu: Garlic Dijon Baked Salmon from Natasha’s Kitchen (if you’re not a fan of fish substitute chicken instead)
- Kate’s Menu: Chicken Gyro Salad from The Girl Who Ate Everything (you can also make this as the original recipe shows as a gyro using pita bread)
- Side of hummus and sliced veggies
- Kate’s Menu: Ranch Burgers by Kid Kritics Approved – I’ll be out for a mamas happy hour, so this is a daddy/son dinner I will prep ahead of time for them to cook.
- Side of chips and pickles
- Kate’s Menu: Dinner Out…we have a family photo session in the evening so taking added stress out of the equation by enjoying an early dinner out and about.
- Dine-In Option: Korean Beef Bowls by Damn Delicious (I’ve made these before and they are damn delicious!)
- Side of Japanese Cucumber Salad from Appetite for China
- Side of rice or use leftover Coconut Ginger Cauliflower Rice from Tuesday
- Kate’s Menu: BLTs with Easy Baked Bacon – This dinner is as simple as the three letters in its name! Bake up some bacon, rinse fresh lettuce, slice a few tomatoes, toast up your favorite bread and get out your basic condiments. Once the bacon is done, layer it all up & mangia!
- Side of Bread & Butter Pickles
- Side of sliced avocados seasoned lightly with salt & pepper or sprinkle of smoked paprika
- Kate’s Menu: Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken Sandwiches – I will use a gluten free garlic toast I found at a local bakery to make this an open faced sammie
- Side Caesar Salad – make your own or buy it ready made in the bag
Overall, last week’s menu worked out really well with only one call for takeout. haha What I enjoyed most about this menu was how easy it was to click on weekly menu, scroll to the dinner day and viola…there are all the recipes with links or suggestions that I needed. A huge time saver and definitely kept me organized!
How did the menu plan work for you last week? Did you have any favorite recipes or flops? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Wishing you a fabulous week & mangia, mangia!