Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads out there! What’s cookin’ in your kitchen for Dad this evening?? We have family arriving today, so I will be cooking up the Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Tacos/Lettuce Wraps from last weeks menu. It’s one of my hubby’s favorite dinners and super easy for a crowd. There will be seven of us for dinner this whole week…wish me luck!
How did last weeks menu go?? My apologies for slipping in some overly complicated meals that were clearly not realistic for busy families. See, this is my problem…I peruse Pinterest or the interwebs and find recipes that suck me in with amazing pictures and mouthwatering ingredients. I read over the directions that seem simple enough until it’s 5pm at my casa and sh*t hits the fan because I know I can’t whip this up in 30.
Reality check, Kate! You don’t have all afternoon to prep dinner so K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid! I promise you this week I will be keeping it simple with seven mouths to feed and lots of activities.
Kate’s Weekly Menu for June 22, 2015
**NOTE** click hyperlinks (peach color text) to access online recipes and view the cookbooks I use. Bookmark or Pin my weekly menu post & reference when you’re cooking.
- Kate’s Menu: Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef from The Recipe Rebel
- Ingredient Tip – Use low sodium soy sauce or low sodium tamari for gluten free
- Side Dish – Sautéed veggies – look for the organic frozen stir fry veggie medley
- Side Dish – Caulirice, steamed rice or noodles
- Kate’s Menu: Slow Cooker Quinoa Chicken Chili from Cook Like a Champion
- Ingredient Tip – Substitute olive oil for canola oil
- Quick Tip – We don’t have a microwave so I will skip step 2 & add all the mixed ingredients in without microwaving. This saves time too!
- Side Dish (if needed) – Whip up a simple garden salad
- Kate’s Menu: Farmers Market Dinner – My fingers are crossed for nice weather so we can take the fam to dinner at the farmers market! It’s always nice to dine out once or twice when guests are in town. 🙂
- Dine-In Option: Summer Vegetable Skillet Lasagna from Kristine’s Kitchen
- Ingredient Tip – Use whatever veggies you like if summer squash isn’t your thing
- Side Dish – Homemade Caesar Salad or store bought
- Kate’s Menu: Fish Taco Bowls from Julie’s Eats & Treats
- Quick & Easy Tip #1 – Use store bought mango salsa or salsa fresca if you’re not a fan of mangos
- Quick & Easy Tip #2 – Make extra Caulirice on Monday and save for the fish taco bowls
- Quick & Easy Tip #3 – Prefer regular rice? Use organic store bought Spanish rice or brown rice
- Sub Option – Use any type of mild white fish you like if you can’t find Mahi Mahi
- Kate’s Menu: Homemade Pizza Night – With 3 kiddos in da house for the week it’s a must to do homemade pizza night! What you’ll need…
- Store bought pizza dough, fresh or frozen makes this dinner SUPER easy. (GF options are almost everywhere now)
- Don’t forget the pizza sauce and cheese or cheeses
- Get creative with your toppings…caramelized onions, kalamata olives and sautéed mushrooms or Canadian bacon and pineapple for a Hawaiian theme, basil, fresh mozz and sliced tomatoes for a margarita pizza. The options are endless and it’s a really fun family activity!
- Open-Face Pizza Option from Iowa Girl Eats – if you’re not up for the homemade pizza idea check out this yummy option!
- Kate’s Menu: Skinny Cobb Salad from Skinny Mom
- Quick & Easy Tip – Purchase a roasted chicken (organic if possible) and use that instead of the chicken breast. Dinner will be ready in a snap & you’ll have left over chicken for a yummy lunch.
- Side Dish – fresh fruit...choose your favorites and cut them up
- Kate’s Menu: Quick & Easy Pasta with Meat Sauce – this is one of my favorite dinners to whip up. What you’ll need…
- 1lb ground beef, bison or ground turkey
- Pasta of your choice
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce…I used roasted garlic last time & it was DELISH
- Cookin’ it Up
- Boil up water for the pasta and cook pasta while meat in simmering
- Cook meat up in the skillet until no more pink is showing
- Pour in pasta sauce and mix well with the meat
- When pasta is done serve directly on plates with a couple scoops of meat sauce on top
- Serve with…
- Your favorite garden salad or caesar salad
- A fresh baguette if you’re craving carbs
Happy cooking and I hope you enjoy the easier recipes. It’s so nice to be able to cook healthy, homemade meals and sit down to enjoy them with your family!
Of course, sh*t happens and you may have to improvise but just remember not to stress.. Life’s too short to stress over dinner and when you keep it simple, odds are you’ll be able to get a healthy dinner on the table.
**If you have any questions about the recipes I post or about the ingredients, feel free to email me…email@example.com**