Hello Friday! I am thrilled to see so many fun events and activities on and off the island this weekend. My family has been busy, busy the last few weeks and can finally carve out a bit of time to explore the somewhat new city and surrounding areas we are absolutely in love with! Whether you’re looking for family friendly outings or a bit of fun for two, this weekend pretty much has it all!
This weekend you can look forward to…
- Newport Gulls vs. Danbury Westerners – Play ball! Gates open at 5pm and the first pitch is thrown at 6:35. If stadium food isn’t your thing grab a bite to eat at one of the local Newport restaurants…I love the chicken curry at Fastnet Pub. It’s an awesome place for dinner with the kiddos when you go there before 6pm. (requires tickets)
- MetLife Family Friday @ The Providence Children’s Museum – Free admission every Friday from 5-8pm, June through Labor Day. This is an awesome kiddo museum with a great water room & outdoor play area. (free & no registration needed)
- Newport Trolley Tour – With the possibility of rain in the morning, hop on a trolley tour and soak up the history of this amazing city. There are several tours throughout the day, so you can enjoy breakfast at Teas & Javas and a tour or catch an early tour and enjoy lunch at The Red Parrot…their lobster nachos are AMAZING! (requires tickets)
- O Club Summer Concerts by the Bay – If you have access to the Newport Navy base this is an awesome family friendly evening out. The views are stunning, food is delish & music this week features No Shame (top 40 rock) My family had a blast two weeks ago & can’t wait until we can go again! There is no direct website for this event so click on the event on my blog calendar for more details. (no reservations required)
- Newport History Tour – Grab the stroller or baby carrier and venture on one of the six walking tours offered on Saturdays. Most of them are in the mid-morning with one afternoon tour, so plan to grab a bite after you’ve worked up an appetite touring historical Newport. (requires tickets)
- Newport Music Festival – Plan a date day & head to the Elms on Bellevue for a little music and a box lunch in the beautiful carriage house courtyard. There are two concert times available with box lunches being served at 1pm. (requires tickets)
- Kids Movie Matinee: The Incredibles @ The Newport Library – The lower level program room turns into a movie theater for the kiddos to enjoy an afternoon movie. It’s the perfect way to beat the heat!
- Local Farmers Markets – There is no shortage of farmers market fun on or off the island. Grab your reusable bags and pick up some local nom nom for the upcoming week. I’ve listed the majority of the farmers markets on and off the island on my calendar. Scroll to the bottom & click on the farmers market category to see the where/when details.
- Newport Kite Festival – A free event on both Saturday & Sunday from noon-5pm at Brenton Point State Park. What kid doesn’t like watching and flying a kite?!? Click HERE for more details about the festival.
- Water Brothers Surf Fest V – Surfs up dude! Check out over 800+ vintage surfboards and 500+ vintage skate boards at Fort Adams State Park along with surf/skate vendors, a raffle, music and some of the best restaurants around Newport. Tickets are only $15 & kiddos under 10 are FREE!
- Bristol Summer Yoga Fest – A FREE event at Colt State Park for all you yogis out there! There are several classes in the afternoon with a 2:30 class just for the kiddos. Don’t miss the yoga social hour at 4pm.
- Providence Restaurant Week – It’s the start of one of my favorite events in any city I have ever lived in! Whether you dine for lunch or dinner this is an awesome way to try a super pricey restaurant without breaking the bank. Runs July 12th-July 25th.
- Brunch It Up @ Narragansett Cafe – Jamestown is such a quaint little town only a hop, skip and jump over the bridge…a water taxi over there would be fun too! If you like Blues & Bloodies definitely check this cafe out. Our family always loves venturing to brunch spots with music because it’s always awesome to dine out with kiddos when there is a little extra background noise. 🙂
- Wickford Art Festival – One of the cutest towns around and only a short drive off the island. Stop by their art festival that runs Saturday, 10-6pm and Sunday 10-5pm.
- Summer Concerts at the Breakers – One of four concerts held at the Breakers during Newport’s Music Festival. If you have a love for classical music this evening concert is the place to be! (note: their website was a bit confusing to buy tickets…you may want to call the box office)
TGIF and have a wonderful weekend!!
Does your business or organization have an upcoming event you’d like to add to the ASV calendar?? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with details.