Thursday was an absolutely gorgeous day on this beautiful island of Newport! Let’s hope for the exact same weather this weekend, please. 🙂
We’ve officially hit mid summer & with so much going on my family’s schedule has been packed full of fun. What are your favorite weekend spots on or off the island? I’d love to know and share them in an upcoming Weekend Happenings!
This weekend you can look forward to…
- 87th Annual St. Anthony’s Feast – Fun, food games, entertainment & a car show. A local favorite the whole family can enjoy. This event runs 7/16-7/19.
- Stars & Night Sky – The Providence Children’s Museum has a neat Discovery Studio that is a hands on art and science exploration space. From 10-3pm you can explore and create all things outer space!
- South Country Balloon Festival – Three days of balloons galore! Check out hot air balloons, music, kite flying & BBQ. Yup a BBQ competition and balloons! Parking is free, kids under 5 are free and a family 4 pack is only $25. This event runs 7/17-7/19.
- The Black Ships Festival – Newport has a Japanese Sister City of Shimoda & the Black Ships Festival is all about Japanese culture and heritage. Activities for all ages with a diverse calendar. This event runs 7/17-7/19.
- Great Friends Dance Festival – For anyone who has a passion for dance, this is a festival you don’t want to miss! This weekend you can see show on Friday, Saturday or Sunday focusing on contemporary ballet.
- Tennis Hall of Fame 2015 Induction Ceremony & Semi-finals – ATP World Tour Pros compete in the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships that happens after Wimbledon. Located in historic downtown Newport & surround by a ton of things to stroll by.
- Ice Cream Social @ the Newport YMCA – From 12-2pm enjoy the pool, Ben & Jerry’s ice cream for $1 and other concessions for an additional cost while soaking up the sun. This event is open to the public.
- Craft Brew Festival & Races – Another awesome event at Fort Adams State Park. It’s a little late to sign up for the 5k, but ticket are still available for the Brewfest. Click HERE to purchase tickets. Hint…it’s cheaper to buy online & click participate as an individual to get access to the Brewfest only tickets. 21+ event
- What’s in a Garden: History of the Whitehornes & Neighbors – Newport History Tours tour of the month will take you through the formal Whitehorne House garden along with learning a bit of history about the merchants, mill workers and other historical facts about the neighborhood.
- WaterFire Providence – Quite possibly one of the most unique & beautiful events going on this month, WaterFire Providence will light up the water with torches that will spark an incredibly stunning nighttime landscape. Event held rain or shine.
- $1 Make Your Own Shortcakes – Clement’s Market is hosting a Make Your Own Shortcake event for only $1 as part of their sidewalk series. I could not find any other details online, so please call ahead if there is a chance of inclement weather. 401-683-0180
- Providence Restaurant Week – Don’t forget to get you grub on at one or a few of the yummy restaurants participating in 10th annual PRW! Hint…there are several restaurants in the surround areas…not just Providence.
- Live Music @ Newport Vineyards – Relax with a glass of wine, tasty bites and live music from 12-3pm.
- Dachshund Dash in Tiverton – An event open to all dogs where you’ll find funny contests like oldest/youngest, shortest/tallest along with doggie art. Yes, hound dogs creating a masterpiece with their paws. Very little details were online, so call ahead to double check location, times, etc.
TGIF and have a wonderful weekend!!
Does your business or organization have an upcoming event you’d like to add to the ASV calendar?? Email email@example.com with details.