Hello August! This summer is flying by and with my husband’s school break coming to an end, we are enjoying all there is to explore on and off the island.
Today we ventured up to Bristol for a bike ride on the East Bay Bike Path. The views were stunning, the path was nicely shaded and we stopped for a relaxing picnic by the water at Veterans Memorial Park in Barrington. Stay tuned for a post about the East Bay Bike Path and what we discovered. 🙂
Some of you may have noticed my blog calendar is no more. I’ve revamped the local section of my blog and you will now find all things Newport, Aquidneck Island and surrounding areas under the Newport Life tab. As I discover more and more about this gorgeous place I will share my experiences with you. Until then, check out what’s going on this weekend…
**click the event title for schedules and more details**
- Rhode Island International Film Festival – Check out any number of films throughout RI at the largest public film festival in New England.
- Family Fun Friday @ Blithewold Mansion – A daytime family event with music, crafts, face painting and dancing. This week Christopher Kavi Carbone will be entertaining the kiddos. Pack a picnic, sit back and enjoy the show.
- Bristol Explorer Pass – Visit 5 of Bristol’s stunning historic places for only $35! Now through September the explorer pass allows you unlimited access to all 5 locations for one week from date of purchase. Locations: Blithe wold Mansion, Herreshoff Museum, Linden Place, Coggeshall Farm & Audubon Environmental Education Center.
- Storytime with Miss Lynn @ Barnes & Noble – Enjoy a latte while your wee one listens to an exciting story told by Miss Lynn. Located in the children’s area of B&N.
- Babytime Playgroup @ Middletown Library – a casual playgroup for tiny tots ages birth – 2 years.
- Coast Guard Cutter Eagle Arrives @ Fort Adams – Watch this beauty transit through Newport Harbor if you’re an early riser; as the ship is set to moor at Ft. Adams at 9:30. Tours are open Friday, Saturday & Sunday.
- Lego Club @ Newport Library – Let your kiddos imagination run while they build with legos. Ages 5-12 and no registration is required.
- Farmers Markets – Visit my farmers market page under the Newport Life tab above and you’ll find listings of all the farmers markets on and surrounding Aquidneck Island.
- Special Storytime @ Barnes and Noble – The Gingerbread Man Loose in School will be the special Saturday morning story. Grab a cup of joe and kick back while your little one learns about what happens to a just-baked gingerbread man who is left behind at recess.
- US vs Brazil Polo Match – Pack a picnic, bring some vino and your lawn chairs to cheer on our home team as they play Brazil. Polo is one of the quintessential Newport things to do before summer is over!
- Rock the Mansion @ Ochre Court benefitting Newport County Community Mental Health Center. Tickets are still available & it’s sure to be a night of fancy fun!
- Monthly Summer Cookout @ Baptist Chruch in Warren – Open to all and a fun way to get off the island to experience a new town. Save your appetite for burgers, hot dogs, sides, salads and more! $10/adults and $7/kids
- Dog Days of Summer @ Potter League – Bring fido for a morning of fun and agility along with prizes and goodies.
- Conanicut Island Art Assoc. Summer Craft Fair @ the Jamestown Community Center. You’ll enjoy music, food, shopping, kids coloring table and more.
- Fisherman Fundraiser – One of their fellow fisherman is missing the season because of cancer, so all proceeds from the fundraiser will go to his family. Stop by the Newport Lobster Shack and shop for a good cause.
- Live Music @ Newport Vineyards – Saturday and Sunday enjoy live music while sipping some of Newport’s finest vino.
- Murder at the Museum – Join in on the thrills at the Newport Art Museum’s interactive murder mystery. Reservations recommended, but not required. Tickets may also be purchased online.
- Blues BBQ on the lawn at the Meeting House in Tiverton. Pack your lawn chairs and save room for some BBQ, blues & fun for the whole family. Kids under 10 are free. Tickets can be purchased online.
- CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER – NIMFest @ King Park – Newport Independent Music Festival happens every Sunday at King Park. This week enjoy tunes from JP Jones, Randy Robbins, Michael Walsh. Pack some snacks, a blanket or your lawn chairs and soak up the sites and sounds.
- Great Gatsby Movie Experience @ Jane Pickens Theater – Grab some coffee and pastries before you head into the historic Jane Pickens Theater where you watch the original romantic film. After, stroll over for a tour of the Rosecliff mansion where the movie was filmed. Tickets can be purchased online.
- Make it a Beach Day – Stop by any one of these beaches for a day of summer fun! Easton’s Beach, Sandy Point Beach, Gooseberry Beach. They can get crowded, so get there early or make it a picnic dinner night.
TGIF and have a wonderful weekend!!
Does your business or organization have an upcoming event you’d like to add to the ASV calendar?? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with details.