How are you all holding up out there with this heat?!? I don’t want to wish summer away, but I caught myself dreaming about a brisk fall breeze and all the outdoor activities I could take C to if we weren’t roasting. 😉
Until then, I am still getting out and about with my family…just with a lot more sweating involved. I decided to send this out early Thursday because there is SO much to do on Friday. Stay cool my friends!
This weekend you can look forward to…
**click the event title for schedules and more details**
- A Weekend of Coaching (August 20-23) – This isn’t a weekend of new age life coaching, but rather a trip back in time where you’ll see authentic 19th century coaches drawn by stunning horses all around Newport & mansion grounds. There will be a dozen teams of coaches trotting around & viewing is FREE to the public. A driving exhibition on the grounds of the Elms is open to all on Saturday morning at 10:30am. Click HERE for the daily driving routes of the coaches. This event only happens every 3 years so don’t miss it!
- *CANCELLED* Family Fun Friday @ Blithewold – A daytime family event with music, crafts, face painting and dancing. This week Karen K & the Jitterbugs will be entertaining the kiddos. Included in admission is a nature-inspired craft, face painting & a free slice of pizza. Pack a picnic to fill your tummy because 1 slice of pizza might not fill you up after all that fun! Free for members.
- Storytime with Miss Lynn @ Barnes & Noble – Pepper & Poe is the read for this week! Grab a tasty beverage, let the kiddos play a bit at the train table & then sit back as they enjoy Pepper & Poe.
- Babytime Playgroup @ Middletown Library – A casual, no registration needed playgroup for babies age birth-24 months. Plenty of room for tummy time, toys for the older kiddos and of course books. 10am-11am
- Shanty Night @ Coggeshall Farm – Break out your inner Aretha for a family friendly night of singing around the campfire. Pack a picnic and enjoy dinner on the farm. Children under 3 are FREE & it’s only $5/pp or free to farm members.
- Herreshoff Classic Regatta (August 21-23) – Put your boat shoes on! This annual event draws participants from around the world for classic yacht racing and social events. Check out the schedule and hang out along the harbor to watch these classics race.
- Cru Cafe Late Night Bites (August 21-22) – Not so late night, but perfect for a date night. Cru features a weekly changing menu with fresh, local ingredients. It’s BYOB and the perfect spot to satisfy your palette with a variety of small plates. 5pm-8pm
- Bristol Explorer Pass – Visit 5 of Bristol’s stunning historic places for only $35! Now through September the explorer pass allows you unlimited access to all 5 locations for one week from date of purchase. Locations: Blithe wold Mansion, Herreshoff Museum, Linden Place, Coggeshall Farm & Audubon Environmental Education Center.
- Summer Concert Series @ The O Club – A spectacular view of the harbor and Pell Bridge are what you’ll find at the Newport Naval Station’s O Club. On Friday & Saturday nights anyone with access to the base can enjoy live music and good eats while soaking up one of the best views in town. Seating is out on the deck & the kiddos can enjoy walking down by the water where there are plenty of rocks to skip!
- Welcome the Historic Coaches @ Greenvale Vineyards – Pack a picnic and go back in time as 44 horses driving 11 coaches arrive as part of coaching weekend. It’s a stunning place to watch this every three year event. Free and open to the public. Arrive by 11:45 so you don’t miss the show!
- US vs Jamaica Polo Match – Pack a picnic, bring some refreshing beverages and your lawn chairs to cheer on our home team as they play Jamaica, mon! Polo is one of the quintessential Newport things to do before summer is over! (polo tips…bring an umbrella or pop up tent if you plan to picnic on the lawn along with blankets or chairs for seating. Get there before 4pm to get a good spot…international matches tend to be a bit more crowded)
- 6th Annual Newport Sup Cup – A little something for the older kids & a quite challenging one might I add! Paddlers will follow a 6 mile elite course or 3 mile recreational course around Goat Island and surrounding areas. Pump up those arms & get paddling! Race begins at 10am & would just be a neat sight to watch.
- Live Jazz @ Greenvale Vineyards – Afternoon jazz and wine tasting just go together. The whole family is welcome along with picnics and leased pets. Change up the pace and relax at bit on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.
- Farmers Markets – Visit my farmers market page under the Newport Life tab above and you’ll find listings of all the farmers markets on and surrounding Aquidneck Island. Aquidneck Growers Market at Newport Vineyards is quite nice!
- You Pick Berries @ Sweet Berry Farm – Grab your best bucket & get to pickin’ those sweet and tasty summer berries! Now picking blueberries, blackberries & raspberries along with summer golden apples. Call ahead to confirm what’s pickin’. Open 7 days a week 8am-7pm.
- Pineapple on the Bay – A family friendly nom nom spot with stunning views of the bay & Pell Bridge. They have adirondack chairs along the water that make a great place to enjoy a cocktail. Check out the lighthouse only a few steps away & enjoy live music Friday-Monday from 6pm-8pm. Oh & save room for dessert because you can make s’mores with the kiddos at the fire pit along the water.
- NIMFest Outdoor Concert @ King Park featuring Abby Rhode & The Kane Brothers this Sunday, 3-6pm. FREE Visit their Facebook page for more details.
- Tom Burgess @ Newport Vineyards – Relax, sip some wine and enjoy an outdoor concert from 2pm-5pm.
- Live Music @ Jamestown’s Veterans Memorial Square – The Jamestown Community Band will play an outdoor concert from 6:30-8pm.
- Make it a Beach Day – Stop by any one of these beaches for a day of summer fun! Easton’s Beach, Sandy Point Beach, Gooseberry Beach. They can get crowded, so get there early or make it a picnic dinner night.
WHERE TO BRUCH ON SUNDAY…
A family favorite of ours, Keenwah is a cute, casual cafe in Newport off of Broadway. They serve pretty much all organic food, made fresh & full of flavor. The outdoor patio is a great place for the kiddos to explore. C & I love the Local Yokel for breakfast. Try it with a little pesto and tomato…so yummy! The Purple People Pleaser (I think that’s the name) is a refreshing acai bowl; perfect for these hot days! Lunch is worth the stop too! Jerk Turkey Burger over lettuce = amazing! Sammies are delish & salads are refreshing. My family loves to pick up food to go and bring it to the beach. 🙂
Serves: Breakfast & Lunch
Accepts: Cash, Credit, Debit
Service: Order at Counter
The Feel: Casual
Outdoor Seating: Yes
Parking: Lot & Street
Order To Go: Yes
Kid Friendly: Yes
Kids Menu: Yes
Full Bar: No
TGIF and have a wonderful weekend!!
Does your business or organization have an upcoming event you’d like to add to the ASV Weekend Happenings?? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with details.