Before I write about the Weekend Happenings, I would like to send my deepest sympathies and prayers to the families of Alison & Adam, the two journalists who were senselessly killed in Virginia yesterday. It is yet another reminder to live life to the fullest and cherish every second you have with your loved ones. Please send prayers to the families of Alison & Adam.
I honestly have no other words to write other than make the time for your family & friends, let the little things go, respect others, be kind and live a life full of love. I think that is all we can hope for in this crazy world.
This weekend (and always) be thankful and stop to smell the roses, as cliche as it sounds…
**click the event title for schedules and more details**
- Escobar Farm’s Corn Maze Opening – Get lost in their 8 acre corn maze that opens this Friday! They have also added concessions, hayrides, picnic tables & a hay play area for lots of farm fun! This weekend is military appreciation weekend with 1/2 price maze tickets when you show your military I.D. Visit their website for hours and more details.
- Storytime with Miss Lynn @ Barnes & Noble – She’ll be reading Whoa, Wyatt! Whoa, Ruby! You’re causin’ a ruckus on the ranch! A coloring craft is usually after storytime. Starts @ 11am. Stop by before for a coffee or tea & let the kiddos play at the Thomas the Train table.
- Babytime Playgroup @ Middletown Library – A casual, no registration needed playgroup for babies age birth-24 months. Plenty of room for tummy time, toys for the older kiddos and of course books. 10am-11am
- Farmers Markets – Visit my farmers market page under the Newport Life tab above and you’ll find listings of all the farmers markets on and surrounding Aquidneck Island. Aquidneck Growers Market at Newport Vineyards is quite nice!
- Pasture Walk @ Coggeshall Farm – Every Friday & Sunday @ 12pm, stroll the pasture with a trained interpreter who will introduce you to rare-breed heritage animals. Weekday Admission is $5/ adults, $3/ ages 3-12 and kiddos under 3 are FREE. Weekend Admission is Admission is $7/ adults, $5/ ages 3-12 and kiddos under 3 are FREE.
- Bristol Explorer Pass – Visit 5 of Bristol’s stunning historic places for only $35! Now through September the explorer pass allows you unlimited access to all 5 locations for one week from date of purchase. Locations: Blithe wold Mansion, Herreshoff Museum, Linden Place, Coggeshall Farm & Audubon Environmental Education Center.
- Summer Concert Series @ The O Club – A spectacular view of the harbor and Pell Bridge are what you’ll find at the Newport Naval Station’s O Club. On Friday & Saturday nights anyone with access to the base can enjoy live music and good eats while soaking up one of the best views in town. Seating is out on the deck & the kiddos can enjoy walking down by the water where there are plenty of rocks to skip!
- Taste of the Market – Tomato Harvest Event @ Coastal Growers Market – Stop by the Coastal Growers Farmers Market this Saturday for a special heirloom tomato tasting event. There will will be a chef action table along with a tasting pairings from each of their vendors. If you love ‘maters, you don’t want to miss this event. Free & kid friendly. 8:30am-12:30pm.
- Storytime with Miss Lynn @ Barnes & Noble – She’ll be reading Little Blue Truck’s Beep-Along Book. A coloring craft usually follows storytime. Starts @ 11am. Stop by a little early to snag a coffee or tea and let the littles play at the Thomas the Train table.
- Wake Up with the Barnyard @ Coggeshall Farm – Experience what life is like on a farm as you help them feed the animals, turn them out to pasture, clean the barn, care for the garden and ready the farmhouse for the day. Every Saturday @ 9am. Admission is $7/ adults, $5/ ages 3-12 and kiddos under 3 are FREE.
- Salute to Summer Concert & Fireworks @ Naval Station Newport – All hands on deck for an afternoon of activities spilling into an evening of family fun, music, food and more! Gates open to the military/DOD card holders @ 2pm and Gate One opens to public pedestrian traffic @ 4pm. Fireworks at dusk.
- Newport vs. New York Polo Match – Pack a picnic, bring some refreshing beverages and your lawn chairs to cheer on our home team as they play some New Yorkers! Polo is one of the quintessential Newport things to do before summer is over! (polo tips…bring an umbrella or pop up tent if you plan to picnic on the lawn along with blankets or chairs for seating. Get there before 4pm to get a good spot…international matches tend to be a bit more crowded)
- Weekend LEGO Club @ Middletown Library – Drop in anytime between 11am-12pm for some LEGO fun! Ages 4 and up welcome. No registration required.
- Live Music w/ Pat Cottrell @ Newport Vineyards – Relax, sip some wine and enjoy an outdoor concert from 1pm-4pm
- Family Fun Festival @ Waterfall Academy – The grand opening of Waterfall Academy will kick off with a festival full of games, face painting, petting zoo, food, vendors, prizes and more. If you have island fever, head up to North Kingstown for a change of scenery.
- Live Jazz @ Greenvale Vineyards – Afternoon jazz and wine tasting just go together. The whole family is welcome along with picnics and leased pets. Change up the pace and relax a bit on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. The view here is stunning!
- J.CREW Find Your Perfect Pants Event – We don’t all slip right into the perfect pair of pants, but the stylists at J.CREW @ Long Wharf Mall in Newport can help you out. From 2pm-4pm you can stop by for a one on one sesh to find the perfect pants. Fall is right around the corner…are you ready? Call April for more details @ 401-849-5790
- Pineapple on the Bay – A family friendly nom nom spot with stunning views of the bay & Pell Bridge. They have adirondack chairs along the water that make a great place to enjoy a cocktail. Check out the lighthouse only a few steps away & enjoy live music Friday-Monday from 6pm-8pm. Oh & save room for dessert because you can make s’mores with the kiddos at the fire pit along the water. (bring your own supplies)
- Murder at the Museum – The Newport Art Museum hosts a murder mystery about twice a month. Plan a date night of fright or gather up your closest friends for some scary laughs as you try to solve the crime. Starts @ 7pm. Discounts for seniors, military and youth.
- NIMFest Outdoor Concert @ King Park featuring Bob Kendall Band & ZanRicky this Sunday, 3-6pm. FREE Visit their Facebook page for more details.
- Wine & Craft Beer Tasting @ Cru Cafe – Enjoy a complimentary tasting with over 20 wines and 50 craft beers. Enjoy a little light fare as well. 5pm-8pm
- Live Music w/ Joanne Lurgio @ Newport Vineyards – Relax, sip some wine and enjoy an outdoor concert from 2pm-5pm.
- BIOMES Marine Biology Center – Sundays are perfect for brunching, but when your tummy is full what’s next? Take a trip to the BIOMES Center which has one of the most hands-on aquariums in the region. For the tiny tots check out the Ruby’s Play Center. Open from 12pm-5pm daily. Visit website for admission prices.
- Make it a Beach Day – Stop by any one of these beaches for a day of summer fun! Easton’s Beach, Sandy Point Beach, Gooseberry Beach. They can get crowded, so get there early or make it a picnic dinner night.
WHERE TO BRUCH ON SUNDAY…
An off island adventure, The Beehive Cafe, won’t disappoint your tastebuds! A farm to table atmosphere with an innovative menu offering something for everyone. My family enjoyed breakfast here and we devoured every morsel on our plates! The coffee is delish and the perfect thing to take togo as you stroll along the beautiful waters of Bristol. A heads up for the non-regulars…the line can get quite long, so get there early or just be patient. 😉 It’s worth the wait! If you’re in a rush, visit The Beehive Pantry. A lot of the same yummy, tasty bites for on the go.
Serves: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
Accepts: Cash, Credit, Debit
Service: Order at Counter
The Feel: Casual
Outdoor Seating: Yes
Order To Go: Yes
Kid Friendly: Yes
Kids Menu: No
Full Bar: Beer & Wine
TGIF and have a wonderful weekend!!
Does your business or organization have an upcoming event you’d like to add to the ASV Weekend Happenings?? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with details.