Labor Day celebrates the social and economic achievements of American workers. It’s a long weekend of classic American backyard BBQs, beach days & fun along with celebrating the hard work and prosperity of our country. Enjoy, celebrate, and be safe my friends!
This weekend you can look forward to…
**click the event title for schedules and more details**
- Escobar Farm’s Corn Maze Opening – Test your navigational skills in their 8 acre corn maze open until November 8th. The farm has added concessions, hayrides, picnic tables & a hay play area for lots of farm fun! Visit the farm website for detailed hours and a $1 off corn maze coupon.
- Storytime with Miss Lynn @ Barnes & Noble – She’ll be reading, “Say Hello”, a friendly and fun picture book. The kiddos can look forward to a coloring craft right after storytime. Starts @ 11am. Stop by before for a coffee or tea & let the kiddos play at the Thomas the Train table.
- Babytime Playgroup @ Middletown Library – A casual, no registration needed playgroup for babies age birth-24 months. Plenty of room for tummy time, toys for the older kiddos and of course books. 10am-11am
- Farmers Markets – Visit my farmers market page under the Newport Life tab above and you’ll find listings of all the farmers markets on and surrounding Aquidneck Island. Aquidneck Growers Market at Newport Vineyards is quite nice!
- Outdoor Movie Night @ Cardines Field – Family movie night under the stars is the quintessential way to spend a summer evening. The Sandlot will be playing on a 40 foot screen with free popcorn and water. This event is FREE to the first 400 people. Gates open at 7:30 & movie starts at 8pm.
- SwapDrobe @ Green Envy Eco-Boutique – Dust off that donation bag & fill it up with gently used professional and casual wear along with accessories and shoes for Newport’s co-ed wardrobe swap. What you no longer love is sure to be a favorite for a fellow swapper! Purchase tickets in advance or at the door. From 5pm-8pm.
- Pasture Walk @ Coggeshall Farm – Every Friday & Sunday @ 12pm, stroll the pasture with a trained interpreter who will introduce you to rare-breed heritage animals. Weekday Admission is $5/ adults, $3/ ages 3-12 and kiddos under 3 are FREE. Weekend Admission is Admission is $7/ adults, $5/ ages 3-12 and kiddos under 3 are FREE.
- Bristol Explorer Pass – Visit 5 of Bristol’s stunning historic places for only $35! Now through September the explorer pass allows you unlimited access to all 5 locations for one week from date of purchase. Locations: Blithe wold Mansion, Herreshoff Museum, Linden Place, Coggeshall Farm & Audubon Environmental Education Center.
- Summer’s End Concert – Each year the Summer Arts & Festival Organization hosts an end of summer concert with an eclectic mix of bands. If you have ventured to this cute town this would be the perfect event to explore East Greenwich. Gates open @ 4:00pm and music starts @ 5:30.
- Museum of Yachting 36th Annual Classic Yacht Regatta (Sept.4-6) – A beautiful sight of vintage yachts parading on the bay starts at 10:30am on Sunday. Views are best from Ft. Adams, Goat Island, King Park or anywhere along the Newport waterfront. Social events are held throughout the weekend and are open to the public. Two cocktails hours are set for Friday & Saturday & admission is free and open to the public.
- Storytime with Miss Lynn @ Barnes & Noble – She’ll be reading “The Full Moon at the Napping House”. A coloring craft usually follows storytime. Starts @ 11am. Stop by a little early to snag a coffee or tea and let the littles play at the Thomas the Train table.
- Wake Up with the Barnyard @ Coggeshall Farm – Experience what life is like on a farm as you help them feed the animals, turn them out to pasture, clean the barn, care for the garden and ready the farmhouse for the day. Every Saturday @ 9am. Admission is $7/ adults, $5/ ages 3-12 and kiddos under 3 are FREE.
- Newport & Her Southern Sisters: Three Centuries of Art & Design – Discover the relationship between Newport & the American South. Rosecliff Mansion’s exhibition will showcase ballgowns, portraits, silver and furniture from over 300 years that will offer a look into the connection of Newport and the South. Visit the Preservation Society of Newport’s website for hours, ticket information and more exhibit details.
- Newport vs. England Polo Match – Pack a picnic, bring some refreshing beverages and your lawn chairs to cheer on our home team as they play England! Polo is one of the quintessential Newport things to do before summer is over! (polo tips…bring an umbrella or pop up tent if you plan to picnic on the lawn along with blankets or chairs for seating. Get there before 4pm to get a good spot…international matches tend to be a bit more crowded)
- Live Music w/ Kevin Green @ Newport Vineyards – Relax, sip some wine and enjoy an outdoor concert from 1pm-5pm
- Live Jazz @ Greenvale Vineyards – Afternoon jazz and wine tasting just go together. The whole family is welcome along with picnics and leased pets. Change up the pace and relax a bit on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. The view here is stunning!
- Pineapple on the Bay – A family friendly nom nom spot with stunning views of the bay & Pell Bridge. They have adirondack chairs along the water that make a great place to enjoy a cocktail. Check out the lighthouse only a few steps away & enjoy live music Friday-Monday from 6pm-8pm. Oh & save room for dessert because you can make s’mores with the kiddos at the fire pit along the water. (bring your own supplies)
- Providence Flea Market – Only 2 more left for the season! Make it a day trip of shopping, good eats and vintage finds at this upscale, urban flea market. Visit their Facebook page to see pictures of some of their awesome vendors. Open from 10am-4pm.
- Live Music w/ The Kane Brothers @ Newport Vineyards – Relax, sip some wine and enjoy an outdoor concert from 2pm-5pm.
- 5 Rhode Island Hikes Off the Beaten Path – Take a hike on one of these beautiful paths. Rhode Island Monthly explores and shares these hikes that will leave you feeling zen!
- Make it a Beach Day – Stop by any one of these beaches for a day of summer fun! Easton’s Beach, Sandy Point Beach, Gooseberry Beach. They can get crowded, so get there early or make it a picnic dinner night.
Enjoy the day to yourself with a good book, take a stroll on the beach or get together with friends & family for a BBQ. Whatever you choose to do, make it a fabulous day!
WHERE TO BRUCH ON SUNDAY…
Cru Cafe in Newport offers craft cafe dining with a weekly changing menu. If you’re bored with the same old brunch bites, add Cru Cafe to your calendar this Sunday. Sourcing fresh, local ingredients, you’re tastebuds will be pleased with all the fresh flavors. Check out their brunch menu for this Sunday. It’s BYOB, but they have all the fixings to make your favorite mimosa, bloody mary or sangria.
Serves: Breakfast & Lunch
Accepts: Cash, Credit, Debit
Service: Table Service
The Feel: Casual
Outdoor Seating: Yes
Order To Go: Yes
Kid Friendly: Yes
Kids Menu: ?
Full Bar: BYOB
TGIF and have a wonderful weekend!!
Does your business or organization have an upcoming event you’d like to add to the ASV Weekend Happenings?? Email email@example.com with details.