Well, hello there weekend! Oh how I’ve missed you. 🙂
Last week my son and I were knocked down by a not-so-nice stomach bug. As soon as we thought we were better…BAM…it hit us again.
Thankfully we are better and full of energy after hibernating for seven days. Now, the problem is how do I choose what to do this weekend with so much to choose from??
Friday, I do know that I am lucky enough to be celebrating 6 years of marriage with my amazing, stud muffin of a husband. 🙂 We’re still not sure what we’re doing because we would like to skip the usual fancy dinner for something a little different this time around.
What that different may be…we’re still not sure yet. Any suggestions??
Ok, back to the Weekend Happs. Get your calendar ready because there is a lot to choose from for families, singles and couples.
This weekend you all can look forward to…
**click the event title for schedules and more details**
- Misquamicut Fall Festival – (Fri. – Sun.) The festival is about an hour from here near Westerly. Tickets are $7. Children under 4 are FREE & on-site parking is FREE. Adults and kiddos will enjoy traditional fair rides, rides especially for the tiny tots, games, petting zoo, classic car show & of course tasty bites from the international food festival. If you’re going to venture down there I’d say stop by Westerly for lunch or dinner because it’s such a cute town and then head to the festival.
- East Greenwich Restaurant Week – Running from Sept. 18 – 27th. Many of the amazing restaurants in East Greenwich will be offering 3 course prix fixe menus for lunch and/or dinner. If you haven’t done a restaurant week this is a fabulous way to try out some phenomenal restaurants without bursting your budget.
- Newport Food Tour – Marie @ Newport Food Tours knows what’s tasty around here! A walking tour foodie adventure that is perfect for a date night or the perfect alternative to dinner out with friends. You’ll taste local bites from Newport restaurants that are creative with cuisine and some focusing on farm to table. Tours are Tues – Sat., start at 5pm and run for about 2 hours.
- Storytime with Miss Lynn @ Barnes & Noble – She’ll be reading, “The Last Chocolate Chip Cookie”. The kiddos can look forward to a coloring craft right after storytime. Starts @ 11am. Stop by before for a coffee or tea & let the kiddos play at the Thomas the Train table. Check out the cafe’s new kids menu too!
- Babytime Playgroup @ Middletown Library – A casual, no registration needed storytime for babies age birth-24 months. Plenty of room for tummy time, toys for the older kiddos and of course books. 10am-11am
- Newport International Boat Show – (Thurs.-Sun.) Whatever tickles your fancy, there is sure to be a powerboat or sailboat that will wow you at this boat show! Here are some Highlights of what you can expect at the show. If you’re a true boating enthusiast, don’t miss this!
- Busking @ Bowens Fall Series – Strolling along Bowen’s Wharf perfect this time of year now that all the tourists are gone. Grab a cup of joe at Teas & Javas and then stroll to the FREE live music from 10:30am-1:30pm.
- Newport Harbor Walk – I just discovered this website that lists detailed self-guided walking tours of North & South Newport. They also offer the Cliff Walk and Ten Mile Drive. Take advantage of the gorgeous weather & these FREE walking tours while you learn a little about this historic town.
- Harvest Fair @ Coggeshall Farm – (Sat.-Sun.) This historic working farm is known for their Harvest Fair & it’s a definite to check off your list while living in RI. There will be games, music, dancing, pony rides, hay rides & vendors with hand-crafted items to help you start your holiday gift shopping. Don’t forget to enjoy and explore all the beauty of Coggeshall farm in between your fun! Ticket discounts for seniors, military & kids 3 and under are FREE.
- Ocean State Oyster Festival – If you’re going to learn about and taste oysters, this is place to do it! A ticket includes half a dozen locally sourced oysters raw or prepared, a glass of wine or micro-brewed beer, live music, D.J.s, food trucks and a shucking contest. It’s a festival for the whole family & kids under 12 are FREE. Located along the River Boardwalk in Providence. Rain or shine event. Purchase your tickets HERE.
- FREE Car Seat Checks @ Hathaway School – Tomorrow the Portsmouth Police Department is offering free car seat safety checks at Hathaway School in Portsmouth from 3pm-7pm.
- Easton’s Beach Carousel – Only 2 more weekends before the carousel closes for the season. It’s only $1 a ride & a neat way to let the kiddos experience old time fun! Next door, Easton’s beach Snack Shack has some of the best lobster rolls I’ve had for a reasonable price & to make it a day of adventures, visit the Save the Bay Aquarium downstairs.
- Storytime with Miss Lynn @ Barnes & Noble – She’ll be reading “Bug In A Vacuum”. The kiddos can enjoy a color craft right after storytime. Starts @ 11am. Stop by a little early to snag a coffee or tea and let the littles play at the Thomas the Train table. Check out the cafe’s new kids menu too!
- Escobars Corn Maze – Get lost in their 8 acre corn maze and then check out some of the other fun like hay rides, concessions, hay play area and more. Open Fridays 3:30pm-dusk, Saturdays 10am-dusk & Sundays 11am-dusk. Ages 12 & up $8, 5-11 $6 & kiddos under 4 are free.
- Newport Polo ~ USA vs. Mexico – Only 2 more games left this season! Pack a picnic, bring some refreshing beverages and your lawn chairs to cheer on our home team as they play Mexico! Polo is one of the quintessential Newport things to do before summer is over! (polo tips…bring an umbrella or pop up tent if you plan to picnic on the lawn along with blankets or chairs for seating. Get there before 3pm to get a good spot…international matches tend to be a bit more crowded)
- Fiesta Lollatallulah – Experience a little fiesta after the polo game featuring the delish tacos from famed Tallulah on Thames. Margs are the cocktail of the evening. Sip them while you enjoy music and the final days of fun at the polo fields. RESERVATIONS ARE ONLY ACCEPTED UP TO NOON ON 9/17.
- Tour the Miatonomi Tower – In part with the Engage Newport initiative the Miatonomi Tower will be open every Sunday from 10am-1pm for tours.
- What It’s Worth @ The Redwood Library – Freeman’s Auction House will host a special appraisal event as a fundraiser for the library. $10 per item with a max of 3 items. Walk-Ins welcome, but reservations are recommended. 401-847-0295, ext. 102.
- Story Fun @ Newport Library – Ages 2-4 will enjoy stories, games, rhymes & a craft. No registration required.
- Rogues & Scoundrels Walking Tour – Learn where the shadiest of shady lived, the pirates played and the criminals spent their days. Purchase tickets online or at The Brick Market: Museum Shop. Discounts for military with I.D. and kids under 5 are FREE.
- International Coastal Cleanup of Third Beach @ NBS – Volunteer your time with Norman Bird Sanctuary as they clean up third beach. All participants receive a FREE pass to NBS & they really need volunteers. Open to all ages and an awesome outing for the whole family. 10-11:30am. Register HERE. Meet at the Navy Lot at Third Beach
- Summer Fair @ St. John the Evangelist Chruch in Newport – Check out an 1894 organ demonstration at 11:45 & 1:45pm. Limited information on the church website, but Discover Newport has listed other activities such as a clothing/book sale, bounce house, silent auction, bake table, local vendors and food.
- Newport Festival of Hope – A FREE event for the whole family where people come to gather for faith, community, fellowship and encouragement through music, speakers & more. Enjoy food, children’s activities and of course, the gorgeous view at Easton’s Beach.
- Off the Beaten Path – Walking Tour of Watson Farm – Soak up the ocean breeze while you tour this historic seaside walking farm. You’ll learn about the natural resources of the Narragansett Bay, the importance of preserving the landscape & the local food production. Tickets are $5 for Historic New England Members and $10 for non-members. 2pm-5pm.
- 5 Rhode Island Hikes Off the Beaten Path – Take a hike on one of these beautiful paths. Rhode Island Monthly explores and shares these hikes that will leave you feeling zen!
- Imagination Playground @ The Providence Children’s Museum – Foam blocks in all shapes and sizes with spools, wheels & tubes are at your kiddos fingertips to build whatever their imagination creates. 10am-4pm.
WHERE TO BRUCH ON SUNDAY…
Salvation Cafe is a hidden gem I’ve been told about a lot lately. Several mamas in my Itty Bittys Group have said it’s kid friendly and the food is fabulous! They have a new brunch menu that is not listed on their website yet, but you can view it on their Facebook Page. I’m a sucker for shrimp & grits, but vegan benedict…I just may have to give that a try! Before you’re seated make sure to sneak a peek at the outdoor patio in the back on this gorgeous weekend. It may just be the perfect spot for a family brunch!
Serves: Brunch & Dinner
Accepts: Cash, Credit, Debit
Service: Table Service
The Feel: Casual
Outdoor Seating: Yes
Order To Go: Yes
Kid Friendly: Yes
Kids Menu: No
Full Bar: Yes
TGIF and have a wonderful weekend!!
Does your business or organization have an upcoming event you’d like to add to the ASV Weekend Happenings?? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with details.